7 Tips for Easy Menstrual Cup Removal– hannahCUP
hannah⋮CUP- 7 Tips for Easy Removal
You’ve managed to insert your cup (go you!), now the time has come to remove it and we’re here to help. Removing your cup can take some time and practice to master. We want you to know all the tricks we use for an easy removal. Sometimes it takes a good few cycles to figure how to best remove your cup, but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy!
1. Always try to make yourself as comfortable and relaxed as possible. Taking deep breaths to calm your muscles. You can squat down, sit on the toilet, stand with one leg slightly elevated, or jump in the shower where you are warm and relaxed, whatever your body needs.
2. Rather than pulling the stem, reach beyond the stem until you can grasp the base of the cup where you will feel the raised dotted grips.
3. It helps to bear down on your kegel muscles (like you're doing a #2) to ease the cup down the vaginal canal.
4. Before pulling the cup out, pinch the base of the cup to release the seal. This is so important, otherwise there will be a strong resistance (which is caused by creating a good leakproof seal).
5. Wriggle the cup from side to side while slowly pulling it down towards your vaginal opening. Continue to bear down on muscles as you pull the cup out, this motion gives you further control.
6. When the cup has almost reached your vaginal opening, make sure it is tilted up, this ensures the cup is pulled out upright, to avoid any accidental spillage (but hey, sometimes spillage happens, it’s all a part of the learning process!).
7. If you're out and about and have just removed your cup while in the loo, we suggest having a bottle of water handy to rinse your cup before reinsertion. If you don’t have a water bottle, no problem, tip the blood into the toilet, rinse your cup in the basin, then head back into the cubical to reinsert (who cares - we’re proud menstruators and it’s totally natural!
Try out these steps and see how you go with removing your hannahcup. Remember, it can take a lot of practice to find the right removal process for your body. If you need some extra guidance, feel free to contact our lovely hannah team whenever you need some extra support!